Sunday, January 11, 2009

Five Dollars









We were hit with a crazy snowstorm on Saturday. It was great. We all went outside and played. James and I shoveled the snow (I, with Naomi on my back) while the boys built the tallest snow mountain ever. It made me realize that I do miss my Utah snow.
So, five dollars. It doesn't sound like much. Yesterday, James decided that we needed to have a "Date Night." Our date nights have turned into a movie and special treat after the kids go to bed. I sent James off to rent a movie while trying to get the kids into bed. As soon as he walked into the door, he said, "I'm sorry." Why? "I got "Mama Mia." I thought that you would like it. And then it hit me. He went to BLOCKBUSTER! "Is that a new release?" He nodded. And then I lost it. "You spent $5 on a movie?" "$5?" "$5!" He was speechless. I was irate. He put his head between his arms and asked if I wanted him to take it back. I again, was speechless. "How could you spend $5 on a movie," I asked?
"Honey, I thought that you would like it." "There was nothing else I saw that you would like." "I sat in the video store for 5 minutes deciding whether or not to get it, and then I thought, "Jessie will like this movie." I should have felt like a jerk, but I was too mad at the $5 we no longer had. In my head, I went through a list of what I could have spent that $5 on. A new winter hat for my baby, a pair of Clearance priced Spiderman shoes for Jake, a refil for Williams' Martian Matter Christmas present that he really, really wants; but most of all, I could get a Super Value meal at Wendy's.
Suffice it to say, the night was ruined. There was no Mama Mia, and special treat (James had already prepared a surprise for our date night). There was nothing.
A few weeks ago I called and told my mom that James didn't care that I wasn't feeling well. Her response. "Oh, dear. I am going to have to buy James an extra Christmas present this year." "What," I retorted? "Poor James, she continued...he has to put up with so much...you."
I told James I needed a night to sleep on our little $5 movie fiasco.
By the time Scout woke me up at 5:00 A.M., I had a good half night's sleep behind me. The verdict...I was completely humiliated by myself. Why couldn't I have just jumped up, threw my arms around his neck and kissed him. I should have felt lucky that he thinks a date with me is worth a $5 movie! Perhaps my mom was right. Poor James does have to put up with a lot. But is it really a lot?
I am pretty sure that this is the first, and only time I have ever been in the wrong. That's once in almost 8 years. Sorry honey, but those are some pretty good odds!

8 comments:

James and Jessica Ford said...

Wellll, there was that time you thought you had Cystic Fibrosis. I guess we never did get a sweat cloride test, but... Then there was the old entertainment center that we bought for 25$ at at garage sale and your dad spend 10hrs refinishing only for me to find it at midnight covered w/ snow by the dumpster in DSM. I hauled it in at 1am and we sold it for $85 a couple of days later. I'd better stop or you'll name the many times I've been wrong...we may need to open a new blog just for that. But at least I know I was right once (cue sappy music) When I picked my wife.
James

M & S Eagar said...

Good grief...you guys are a hoot! Let's just say that you make me feel like my marriage is normal because it sounds similar to yours!

P.S. I saw you at church today...from afar! We have got to get together soon.

Andrea said...

Jessie- I LOVE to read your blog! You still make me laugh--even though I haven't actually seen you in forever!! I saw your BRo. Joey---little Joey is in my parents ward! How crazy that he's all grownup and married! He looks exactly like I remember Sam. I wished I could have seen you over Christmas. I'm sorry about your having to stay home. That is a huge bummer. I can totally relate to trying to live on practically nothing. Nathan "gets paid" $160 a month for his stipend. It is pathetic. I cant wait until we have a real income. So Jacob has had eating problems since I tried to introduce 3rd stage baby foods a year ago. Finally I am getting help. He has poor oral awareness and some sensory issues. He used to throwup at just the sight of foods he didn't like- which was everything except stage 2 purree baby food. It was really bad. He's doing better every day now. Lots of therapy. Anyway- maybe one day we will get to meet each other kids:) You are an amazing Mom. I love you girl! Andrea

Natalie said...

I love this story. I also love Mama Mia! It is pretty funny when your two year old knows all the words to "Dancing Queen" and will jump with you on the couch for the whole song.

lynnette orme said...

Oh, poor James. I am sorry. I taught Jessie better than to have her "freak out" at a $5.00 movie. Next time she does that let me know, and I will tell her a thing or two. And I'm on your side--you are right--, she was over the top. Now to clear the air--I think you are both right--you found each other. I love you both. Nettie
P.S. You forgot the two dressers you found that Geoff painted with 25 coats of paint--that ended up looking "oriental". You were both right about that one also.

Ash and Joe said...

Take advice from a person who IS right all of the time :) I personally think James should have bought the Mamma Mia movie. Every home should have one of those!

Orme Family said...

I just wrote a funny blog about our "hotel" night. Thanks again. By the way, Dave and I are still talking about you and your five dollars. I might send you $5.00 in the mail.

David and Rachel said...

Oh, my word! I love that story! I only wish that he would have known that I own the movie, so he could have borrowed it and not spent any money and avoided you losing it! I sure love ya Jessie!