Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween Weeeek-end 2011

Why is it that Halloween lasts for like....3 weeks. Confession: Not my favorite holiday. Not even close. But last night as I sat on my front porch waiting for candy lovers to speak the famous Halloween words for a piece of overly priced chocolate, I looked straight across the street. There sat my neighbor. An older man with his long, white beard, long white hair and old, worn out rocking chair. He was patiently waiting for the adorable, innocent little children come to his home. He anticipated each one. It hit me. In 50 years, it will be me outside on my porch praying for little children to come to my house and bring a little piece of lost childhood into my heart. So now I must do my part. I must visit endless Goodwill stores while putting on a smile for every party. Every celebration. Every bag of candy that I have to buy. Just to do my part. My part for keeping the Halloween tradition alive. For 50 years from now. When I am sitting on my porch, praying. Praying for a glimpse into a long forgotten memory.



























9 comments:

David and Rachel said...

I love the costumes Jess!! Your kids look so grown up and I can't believe how long Naomi's hair has gotten. Everyone here missed you guys the other night when we went trick or treating on your road. Miss you guys!!

JoshandJen said...

Yes ditto to Rach's comment! Love the costumes too! I LOVE Halloween, that and Christmas are my favorites! I hope you are doing well, love ya!

Natalie said...

GREAT costumes, I especially like Will's ---very nice Harry Potter. Spencer is jealous!! :)

Orme Family said...

Love it Jess. Hey, where was Naomi's Herminie costume? She just couldn't help but be a princess huh? I actually have always LOVED Halloween, however, now, I am always so thankful when it is over! Bring on November. Love ya!

The WALL Street Times said...

Best Ron and Harry ever. Not a bad princess either. I love her facial expressions!

The Allred Family said...

Great post. You are such a great writer. I am going to hire you someday to write for me. Esp cause I can't remember anything. The kids costumes are awesome and I can't wait to see you!

Christine Fotheringham said...

Hey Bird . . . Funny, I have the same old man across the street from me and watching Matt trick or treat at his house was the brightest spot of my holiday. :)
Plus, you have to admit it's pretty fun seeing your kids having so much fun. Hey . . . where are you? I know you're in town. Call me. Happy Thanksgiving. Love you Bird!

Christine Fotheringham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fuller Family said...

Jessie-
I have no idea how to get you, so hopefully you check this! I need your address so send you a christmas card! I Miss you guys!

Tiffany Fuller