Wednesday, April 1, 2009

"The Magazine"







I am sitting, somewhat patiently, somewhat impatiently in the Doctor's office. Naomi has another ear infection. We know these all too well. For a moment, a breif moment, Jake is playing well with his sister. I grab a magazine. I never get to read a magazine. It seemed sureal. I opened it up. The first article I came to. A mother was explaining why her kids are so well behaved. I felt like gagging...but I kept reading. She explained that she started when they were young. Apparently, all she had to do was let them know what was expected of them when they were little. Now, because of her great parenting skills, all she has to do is to is to "give her kids the look" and they miraculously never make a wrong decision. I literally felt like jumping into the pages of the magazine and giving that perfect mom a piece of my mind.
I have to admit it. I was the one who before I had kids, I was the perfect mom. I knew everything. My kids were never going to be irrevreverant in church. They were going to be the most respectful kids in their class and of course, they were never, ever going to disrespect me.
I only got through this one article before my 10 month old scampered over to a table, and lovingly threw every single flyer on the ground. As I hurriedly picked them up, my four year old was causing mischief behind me. The doctor's visit was fine. Jake did lose his basketball to the black lined garbage can basketball hoop. A small price to pay for keeping him occupied.
We then went to pick up William from school. I let the kids play on the playground while I enjoyed my only time of day interacting with other adults. Naomi couldn't keep the wood chips out of her mouth. William apparently hurt someone's feelings, and Jake decided to kick Naomi of the curb. "Why did you do that?" I asked. "She needs to know that I am stronger than her." I sat him on the curb to punish him. He smiled, jumped up, ran around the playground and turned his punishment into a game repeating the words, "I don't like you." I was humiliated. I handed my baby to a friend. I chased Jake around the playground. I sat him down again and threatened his life. He sat. I stood. Embarassed. He was yelling, "I don't like you." My friend asked, "Is he your hard one?" I couldn't answer. I didn't know what to say. How could I admit that no one in my house takes me seriously. My innocnet baby girl was all over the place at church the other day. With attitude. Everyone told me that girls are better behaved. I disagree. I looked at James through emotionally drained eyes. I smiled. "Well", I said. "She's a Ford." He smiled back.
There may be perfect children out there. They are probably being raised by perfect parents. I thought that I was the perfect parent. Heavenly Father knows me too well. Today is April Fool's Day. I think of Heavenly Father up there saying to me as lovingly as possible, "April Fool's".
I was a perfect parent. I knew it all.
And then I had my children.
Motherhood is amazing. How is it possible to be so emotionaly spent, and love someone so much? I am not a perfect mom. And it's a good thing. My life is never boring. I will never stop learning. Every flyer I pick up from the ground, every time I hear that my children don't like me, and every time I feel as if I am failing, I am only getting better. I am grateful I am not the mom in the magazine. She must not have kids as exciting as the Ford's. I am truly blessed.

10 comments:

lbb said...

ooohh. i LOVE this post, jess. you're so right about thinking you WOULD know all the answers and then you're humbled that your kids come pre-dispositioned in a lot of ways!
fun photos! i love the cheesecake story. happy bday, james!
let me know when you're in town. love to see you before i take off!
XOXOboyer.

Natalie said...

Love it. Kids are never perfect- well only in magazines!! It's the little imperfections that make it fun and each one different. Glad you embrace it and love it. (I don't know what I would talk to Travis about when he comes home if the kids were perfect- he loves the stories of our "adventures")

J and C said...

Jessie- I read this same article and I felt the same way! UGH! If only, but then again, I am truly blessed. I have unique little individuals and I love each and every one of theri quirks and I still love them when they misbehave! You are a fantastic writer...I love reading your blog!
Courtney
www.thestubblefieldstory.blogspot.com

Katie said...

Jessie, I saw that same article and I didn't know what to think. You are such a good, fun, adventurous mom. Keep it up!

Brenda said...

Jessie, I miss you so much. Sincerely, I wish I could have some time back from our Iowa days so I could spend more time with you. I deeply miss hearing and want to hear these stories first hand, but under the circumstances will have to settle for reading about them. You're kids are so lucky to have you!

Liz said...

I am laughing, b/c I remember saying these same words......OOOH these little ones teach us a thing or two!! When are you coming out????? miss you! Omer

Anonymous said...

Jessie I know I tell you this every single time but I seriously love to read your blog! You are so real.

I remember I always said I would NEVER let our kids sleep in our bed...Cameron slept with us until he was 3 months old. I guess never say never.

The Aamodt Family said...

I love, love your blog!! Yes, it is all so true and you are as good a mother as they come that is for sure! We miss you guys!!

Kristine said...

Jess,
I am so glad that whenever you need a boost, you can read the comments on your blog. You have some faithful followers. I just wish you weren't so hard on yourself. I wish I was at Chuck A Rama with you right now!!!

mary said...

Jessie,

That mother who wrote that article in the magazine is either extremely forgetful or she's lying. =D Probably the day after she submitted it her kids spent the whole day being wretched.

Motherhood is hard, and often embarrassing, and I am starting to think that the whole reason we have kids is so we learn to never judge people for parenting. We all know the answers until we try it out ourselves, yes?