Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Very Good Morning


I woke up at 3:00 A.M. last week with a terrible headache. I took two Tylenol. I again woke up at 6:00 A.M. with an even worse headache. I was nauseated. I stumbled down the stairs and opened a can of Coke. I made my way back up the stairs and opened the bottle of Excedrin Migraine. Jake had made his way into our bed at about the same time. I needed some space. I grabbed an ice pack and cuddled up in Jake's abandoned covers. It was perfect. Peaceful. About an hour later William awoke and found me in his brother's bed. He crawled inside my peaceful abode. There we lay. Me and my bugaboo. It was early morning. The light shining through the windows. William cuddled close to my aching body and kept me warm. He looked up on the wall. The wall with a map of the World duct taped on it. He popped out of bed and described to me the Tropic of Cancer. He returned to his snuggling position under the covers. We talked about the World. He popped up again. This time describing just where Europe ends and Asia begins. I was enthralled. Each time he popped up to show me something, he dropped right back to his position of his little legs curled over mine. His soft face against my chest. With each pop of ideas that streamed into his mind, my pain dimmed just a little bit. We did this for about an hour. I was in heaven. So much so, that I had to force us both out of bed so that he wouldn't be late for school. I toyed with the idea of letting him snuggle with me as long as he wanted. I enjoyed learning about our World through his 5 year old eyes.
It was 8:00 A.M. It was over. My all too rational side told me to get up and send him to school. I didn't want to. But I did. I should have kept him home. Oh, well. I did feel better though.
Much, much better.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I love your stories! You are the best mom! So I have two weeks left of school!!! I will teach you to make bows!! Peyton is begging to come play, too!

Debbi said...

I love reading your stories too! I wish I could express myself like that, before I got this mommt brain I was pretty good. Looks like you had fun in Utah, glad you got a vacation!