Sunday, August 23, 2009

Memories of the Week


This is what we have been doing ALL week long. We have two huge boxes of dress-ups.
William is posing as an intimidating pirate, and Jake as an unruly king.


Scout is posing as, well...SCOUT.







1. When asked what state the kids want us to end up "forever" William replied, "Well, not Iowa." (where we attended medical school). "We would have to go back and live in our old house that was so small it was like a little hut. Our house now is a mansion!"

Daddy replies, "you're right. It's OUR mansion."

2. So I am on this old lady soccer team here is Akron. I laugh every week because my team is so stinkin competitive and we hardly ever actually win. I think of the co-ed over-the-hill league I played on in Des Moines. In Des Moines, I was more of a "person taking up space" because let's be honest, men just don't have faith in the opposite sex when it comes to athletics. They had to have three women on the field and I happened to make a pretty good warm body.
Now I play with all women. Completely opposite. I get the ball all the time and actually feel like I contribute. Here lies the rub. I have realized that with competitive older women, who aren't playing for anything other than for fun, at least that's what I thought I was doing, you are going to get your feelings hurt. Yesterday I felt like yelling, "look, I have never played defense before and I actually think I am doing a lot better job than you are so just keep your mouth shut." So I make a choice. Would I rather play with men and never touch the ball, or with women and get yelled at.
I choose women. I might get my feelings hurt...but oh, to touch the ball again just feels sooooooo good!
3. Jake: "mommy, mommy. I peed all over the seat but I cleaned it up. Are you proud of me?"
Jake has this thing where he loves to pee all over the wall, seat, floor, anywhere. It's just not very fun to actually do what you are suppossed to.

7 comments:

Sarah Hastings said...

Your kids are great, they crack me up!I woudld for sure take the yelling, although i think maybe you should yell back once in a while, I have no doubt you are one of the best players out there!

Ash and Joe said...

There is nothing quite like the touch of a ball at your feet in soccer. It is therapeutic for us you know. Anyway, I agree with Sarah, I am sure you are the leader of the team so they would listen to you, and if they don't, tell them to stick it.

The Allred Family said...

I am so sorry I haven't called you. I will all you tomorrow. I would call you now, but it is like 9:00 and I KNOW you are in bed!

David and Rachel said...

Ok Jessie. I need to come and play with you for sure so I can tell those old ladies to back off! Now, I know I am not very intimidating myself, but I would do it for you. :) I am just jealous that you are still playing soccer and I'm not. I just love reading your posts!

JoshandJen said...

YOU ARE SO FUNNY JESSIE, I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE IN OUR WARD!! THATS AWESOME THAT YOUR PLAYING SOCCER, I WOULD LOVE TO DO THAT WITH YOU, MAYBE NEXT YEAR IF I AM NOT PREGNANT AGAIN :) I AM SO STINKIN COMPETITIVE TOO, I HAVE GOTTEN INTO SO MANY FIGHTS THROUGH OUT MY LIFE BECAUSE OF IT, I SURELY WOULD HAVE YOUR BACK SISTER IF I WAS THERE, IT ACTUALLY WOULDN'T BE A PRETTY SIGHT :) BUT I HAVE TO ADMIT I HAVE CALMED DOWN A LITTLE THE LAST 2 YEARS....(ALTHOUGH MY HUSBAND WOULD SAY OTHERWISE, HE CALLS ME THE DIRTY PLAYER....) YOU ROCK!!!

allison said...

Love Williams quote about Iowa. It made me laugh.

Your little girl is so cute.

and I loved what you had to say about your parents. What a great mom and dad. Fun Tree House.

lynnette orme said...

Oh how I wish I could see you play soccer again. I loved watching all my kids play-whatever-and enjoyed each loss and win. STay with it--you will be glad that are are playing--there is nothing as wonderful as doing something you love. Mom