Thursday, January 21, 2010

Middle Aged Motherhood


I have finally hit it. The middle aged mother. Now, this has NOTHING to do about your age. Just about your children's age.
and so it begins.
The young girl realizing that she is pregnant for the first time. It all starts with a simple pregnancy test.
The pregnancy turns into a life-changing event and the young mother joins what is now called "young motherhood." The young, new mother decides she is going to go crazy if she stays home all day and finds herself attending and joining various play-groups, playgrounds, and doctor appointments if there is any reason whatsoever to get her out of the house. The child may not be "that sick" but sick enough to schedule an appointment and have it take up an hour of her slow and laborious afternoon. At church, the young mother stays in nursery and coddles the crying toddler. People talk how cute her young children are. How precious. "Oh, what a cute young mother."
Then the children grow.
The mother soon finds herself at what she now calls "middle-aged motherhood."
That's me.
I have undoubtably and officially turned in the play-groups for what is known as the PTA. This picture is from Grandparents Day at William's school. His grandparents weren't able to come...so I stepped in. Actually, I had to be there. I was in charge of taking all the kids pictures with their grandparents inside this rigged-up frame. As we were shooting grandparent after grandparent for over an hour, William lovingly attends to my side waving and carrying on conversations with his friends who patiently wait their turn in the picture line. He finally looks up at me and says, "why are you always at my school. Do you think you work here or something?"
My time is now managed differently. In fact, Naomi is three moths overdue for her 18 month doctor visit and Jake I just realized is 10 months overdue for his 4 year. I guess I forgot. I called the office and they informed me that they couldn't combine the 4 and 5 year old visits even though his 5th birthday is in two months. Fine, I said. Just schedule the 4 year old visit. Maybe I'll wait until he's 6 for his 5 year. Now at church, your kids are in Primary. No one really comments on how cute your children are anymore. But you find yourself telling all the new young mothers how cute their kids are. I guess that's what you talk about with young mothers. How cute their kids are.
I wonder what older motherhood is like. I guess high school stuff. Police officers, parking tickets and prom. I'll just hold on for now.
P.S. I LOVE middle aged motherhood.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Lately your posts have been making me need to drink a Coke, so I preemptively opened a can and enjoyed the fizz as I started reading. This one I didn't need a Coke, I needed a tissue. Do you think we'll make it to old motherhood? I was re-tucking Spencer in last night as I went to bed and he was sound asleep and had the covers all over the place so I was adjusting them and all of the sudden I couldn't believe how long his legs were! He use to be my baby and now has these long spaghetti noodle legs.
Your post was so sweet. I wish we could be in the same PTA.

the Smedley's said...

Jessie I love reading your posts! You are seriously a talented writer. I enjoy the way you write and your humour. I really like Natalie's comment about drinking a coke while reading your post (as I know what a coke fan you are). Someday you should write a book and with every book purchased they receive a free bottle of coke to drink while reading.

Sarah said...

spot on about young motherhood :) I love reading your posts, and especially hearing your funny little kiddisms "mom, why are you always at my school?"

p.s. i think your kids are cute!

JoshandJen said...

I agree with everyone you have a talent for writing, I wish I could say the same for myself :) This is so true, I agree with you completely. I can't believe I am already going to be 32 with almost 5 kids and I have an almost 12 year old in middle school, it is way wierd, and he will be in high school before I know it. Boy I keep thinking back to my teenage years and I shutter at the thought of my daniel and Natilie at that stage. Isn't it so fun going through the different stages of motherhood :)
oh and you already know I am drinking a diet coke reading this

The Cannons said...

Hey Jessie,
I happened upon your blog and LOVED this post because I am in early motherhood and bored stiff. I'm glad that things will pick up here a bit in a few years. I have two kids now and I've noticed the days aren't nearly as slow but those last few hours before Dad comes home are brutal. Thanks for the funny post. It made my day.