Friday, February 25, 2011

SNOW DAY(S)(S)(S)(S)(S)









We are wondering what the record is for the most snow days in a school year. I woke up this morning to a phone call from the school district. Just like I did on Tuesday.
I scrubbed the toilets. Vacuumed. Broke up fights. You know, the usual.
We finally decided to brace oursleves and take to shoveling. Just so you know...I am so tired of shoveling our ginormous driveway. The snow today felt extra, extra heavy. My back was killing. The kids finally went inside. I continued to chip away at the massive damage.
I finally retreated inside with a headache without having accomplished the whole driveway. I never do that. My dad always taught me to finish. I just couldn't. Good thing I came inside.
The moment I opened the door, I noticed a strange smell. Oh. It was an experiment of lime juice, chicken boulion and a Costco size container of basil leaves. Smeared all over the kitchen. And the dining room which I had just cleaned. It was amazing. You have to give your kids props for being able to be so destrctive in such a short period of time. My kids will take any of your kids on in a battle of destruction. Bring it on.
I cleaned up the mess and put some noodles in boiling water for lunch just in time to hear William scream "What the HELL are you doing?"
I could tell he knew what was about to happen when I rushed to the bottom of the stairs and looked up at him. He was in shock. So was I.
An hour later we both recovered from the incident. I am now sitting here on the computer trying to lose myself in my writing as toys, bats, and various plastic objects skin my head in an effort to kill a brother. Oh, and I am taking intermittent brakes to dress and undress Barbie.
Go Away Snow.
The chaos is incredible. But for some reason I am so happy that I am the one who gets to be home on Snow Days. I couldn't imagine missing this excitement.
Oh, and William just came in and said, "Ah, mom, I think I am going to go for the 8th Article of Faith this week."
"What a great idea," I respond. What a turn of events. That's our life in a nutshell.
One moment, beating up our brother. The very next, opening up the scriptures.
I love my life.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

oh my goodness, I probably shouldn't admit that I laughed out loud at "what the hell are you doing?" hahaha and was all this before or after that strange man with a flat tire knocked on your door??

I went out to shovel our driveway today too and I was really nervous to see what I would find when I came inside. Luckily just my little sickie falling in and out of sleep on the couch... with her icee spilled all over. Woops! All in a days work, right?

lbb said...

WOAH! sistah, bless your soul.
at least your kids are creative. mine would be begging for a show or saying they are bored!
they have a fantastic mom...i don't think my kids turn to the scrips, esp on snow days!
they are lucky to be home with YOU on these days! i'd die to be with jess!
xo

Elise said...

We have been staying cozy indoors in Idaho with TONS of snow too. Aren't snow days great? Cute pics. The kids are looking so very cute and grown up.

JoshandJen said...

That is funny, I had posted a picture on facebook of our ginormous long driveway too that I had shoeveled the whole thing but I did it while my boys were napping and delaney was being good in the high chair watching tv...it sure was a workout and my back and shoulders killed by that night...Our ward sure has some great wives that will shovel their driveways for their hubbys ;)

I totally would take you up on that mess making, I think the only one in our family that would totally have a chance up against your kiddo's is...yep you guessed it WADE, its so never ending...So I am with sarah, I totally laughed out loud too with the "what the hell are you doing"...So who was he saying that too and why???? It reminded me of when Daniel and Natilie were little and they slipped and said something like that (because they heard it from my ex) and the shock I felt...they ended up getting a bar of soap in their mouth and havent said a word like that since :) maybe its a good thing that Justin and Wade don't talk lol...j/k....