Sunday, September 20, 2009

GLAMOROUS



As mothers, we clip the coupons. we wait for sales. we shop three different stores to get the best deals for one weeks worth of food. we buy the food. we put it away. we take it out again. we cook it. we place it on the table.
"Jacob, sit down and eat your dinner"
"William, I don't care if you don't like it...just eat it."
"Fine, I'll make you a peanut butter toast."
"Fine, I'll cut off the crust."
"Did you serously just push your sister. She could have cracked her head open."
"No....sit down and eat."
"Right now."
"Naomi, you may not have a cup. You will spill it."
"Fine, here's a cup."
"Oh, see....I told you so."
"dang-it...I need more paper towels."
"Get back here and eat your dinner."
"I am going to count to five."
"NOW"
"Stop running around and sit down."
"Did you just push your sister again. Great...now she's crying."
we now clean it up.
we pre-wash with paper towels. sanitize with a lysol wipe.
we do the dishes. we put the dishes away. we think about what three meals we will make tommorrow.
amidst a wonderful family dinner with food spread as far the as the eye can see...
I realize, strangely...i am still hungry.


13 comments:

Andrea said...

I adore you Jessie. You always make me smile after reading your blog. Where did yo get those "spooky" dishes from?? LOVE THEM. I hope all is well in Akron.

Brenda said...

Hilarious, Jessie! Great monologue. And, James, cook and do the dishes once in awhile, you slacker. Just kidding.
--Ryan

lbb said...

Ha! I totally relate. I always get sick about how much food is wasted because certain kids would rather go hungry (jack!) than eat dinner. Ah! Why don't I just serve yogurt every night?
Love ya.

{Erica} said...

I can totally relate. Dinner time is always the most difficult (although making sure they eat a good breakfast before school is a close second). After making efforts to produce a good meal the conversation at dinner goes along the same lines as the ones you described. When do they grow out of it? :)

Becky said...

Love it! Love. Every. Word.

JoshandJen said...

That was a riot to read! Loved it! And isn't it so so true, that is how I feel with dinner too, it's by far the most stressful for me to get together and try to get "everyone" to eat because we have a houseful of picky eaters, well except Josh but he is just hte human garbage disposal :)

Cook Family said...

I'm glad to know as mothers, we are in good company :)

Sarah C said...

That is awesome!

Brenda said...

Just kiddin, James. You are a much better husband and dad than me. We all aim for your level of excellence.

Mitzi said...

this sounds just like our house

Orme Family said...

I can see it now. By the way, thanks for always being willing to chat when I call. Love ya!

allison said...

Oh good! I am not the only one.

lynnette orme said...

All I can say is "Pay back time" Love, mom