Thursday, October 22, 2009

My Broken Heart



High School break-ups can not compare to my Tuesday night heartache. I left Enrichment early to pick up my 6 year old from Tai Kwon Do. He is trying really hard to earn his Yellow Belt. He's just not getting the form right. A few minutes late, I hurriedly parked the car, slammed the door and ran in to retrieve my precious baby. Only he couldn't leave. I walked in to find his back toward me. Master McCray in front of him. Sternly calling his name. I stopped. What was going on? Everyone else was leaving and walking out the door. I felt confused. William stood there in silence before his Master. "Again, " Master McCray sternly spoke. I took a seat. William proceeded to do his form. He turned around as part of the exercise and saw me there watching. Our eyes clashed. His 60 pound body again turned around to face the Master. "You keep making the same mistake. I am not letting you go until you get it right." His voice was loud and strict. Then I saw William's white sleeved Karate shirt raise itself to his eye. And then his other arm. I could hear his quivering voice...wiping the small teardrops from his eye. Then I almost started crying. Master McCray interrupted my crying child. "William..No..don't do that William. Look at me. No crying. William...Stop It! STOP NOW!" What was going on? My baby was crying. I felt helpless. What was a mother to do? I wanted to swoop in with eagle's wings and rescue my child from the ravenous pray. Who was this man yelling at my child not to cry?
They continued working. William still was making mistakes. Master McCray was very frustrated. William too. What in the world was going on in front of my eyes?
They continued. William still not getting it. 15 minutes...20 minutes. And than 25. William's eyes began to water as his shaky six year old hand was raised. He had a question. Master McCray asked what he needed?
I heard his quivering question from the back of the gym. "Why are you keeping me here all night?"
The Master responded. "Trust me, William. I am NOT doing this for me. I am doing this for you. If you are going to get your yellow belt, you can not keep making mistakes. You are out thinking yourself. Stop IT! Do you trust yourself William?"
"What does that mean," William trembled.
"You have got to start trusting yourself!"

This went on for over 30 minutes. William still didn't get the form right. The Master finally let him go. As my baby walked timidly over to me, I took him in my arms and squeezed the life out of him. I never wanted to let him go back to this cruel world. A world where I had no control.
I sat in bed last night and cried. I cried for my baby. I cried for that little boy who is learning at such a young age how life is hard. I cried that he might never get his yellow belt. I cried most of all when I realized that this is life. And he has to learn it. I cried to think that Tai kwon Do is nothing compared to what he is going to face.
Why couldn't I take all the pain for him? Why couldn't the Master yell at me? Why couldn't I be the one to screw up? To get my feelings hurt? I wanted it, dang it! I wanted the pain. Please. Yell at me!
Yes, this is life, dear William. The only thing that I can promise, is that I will always love you. I will always squeeze the life out of you. No matter what. I don't care what people say to you. I don't care if you can't do the form. I DON'T CARE! Just come and let me hold you. Come and let me tell you how much I love you. Come and let me tell you how you are my life. The life that I love more than you could understand. I love you, William.

8 comments:

Cassie said...

oh that is so sad! It would kill me to watch that! I don't even want to think about moments like that yet! You are such a great mom, and he is lucky to have you!

Becky said...

I would like to Tai-Kwon-Kick that Master's rear end.

JoshandJen said...

That made me tear up reading it. I am afraid with my mouth, I would have had to start yelling at that Master in the heat of the moment, it's sad that our kids have to live in a world with so much pressure!! Those are times he will remember when he is older of how he felt and he will know what a great mom he has to run too!

Julie said...

Well, I am crying with you. We all have those difficult times. Luckily we also have a great Heavenly Father to go to when life gets hard- which is often!!!!!!!!!!!!

David and Rachel said...

Oh my goodness. That must have been so hard to watch. Please know I seriously admire you Jessie and I think that we can all learn from you as far as how a mother should love her children. I love reading your blog and you are such a good writer! Oh and tell Will that I am next in line to give him a big hug too!

Christine Fotheringham said...

Nate says you should keep these entries so you can sell them. You should write a book!
I think I may have been Master McCray with one of my piano students this week. I knew I hadn't handled the situation right when I saw my little Matt after the lesson and got a huge pit in my stomach . . . what if someone was that hard on Matt? Oh crap. That may be a good rule of thumb . . . before freaking out on someone, remember they too have a mother. (I just can't believe McCray was such a freak-show with you sitting right there!)

Anonymous said...

How sad! I want to kick his "Master" in the face! That would have been so hard to watch. I know I have said this like 10 hundred times but you are the best mom and I LOVE reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

That breaks my heart for you and I'm not sure what I would have done either. I have been totally slacking on reading blogs and MAN i have missed so much on your blog!!! Your family is beautiful and I love how big Naomi is - wow! You guys are awesome and I miss your laugh