Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Turning 30

Akron Ward Christmas Party 2009

I never actually wrote about being 30. Let's just say...by far...my BEST birthday ever. And why wouldn't it be? I've ALWAYS wanted to be 30.
Six months ago I told my mom that the ONLY thing I wanted for my 30th was for her to come in and go shopping with me on Black Frdiay...which happened to be my 30th birthday this year. EVERY year my mom, my sister and I shop through our cell phones. I will never forget a few years ago when I called my sister at Toys' R' us and she said that mom was sitting in the car. Why? Apparently at Target, someone pushed her over and STOLE her cart. I laughed. Oh, what I would have done to be there with them. I cried. I wanted to laugh with them.
A few months ago, my mom called me sobbing. "I couldn't sleep last night." "We can't come out for Thanksgiving. Your dad doesn't feel well and the flights are just too expensive." She started crying again on the phone.
I, of course, told her profusely that it wasn't a big deal. Life goes on. We could shop through cell phones again. It would be just like old times. She hung up the phone and I felt like crying. Not that she wouldn't be here, but how bad she felt about it. I realize now how strong a parents love can be...but I never really think that someone actually feels that way about me.
Life went on. A couple months ago I was checking my email.
Travelocity Flight confirmation for Geoffrey and Lynnete Orme.
"What the heck?" I thought.
I timidly clicked the button.
Tickets to Akron, OH.
Not just any tickets.
A Red Eye flight.
My parents are 60!
What in the world were they thinking?
I was too excited to think normally.
I picked up the phone while looking at the computer screen.
"What the heck are you thinking?"
It was the cheapest flight. We will get there Thanksgiving morning. Just in time to help you make the cranberry salad."
Suffice it to say, it was the Best Birthday ever.
My mom, Kristine and I celebrated midnight in the Toy R us line in the freezing cold clinching on to our drug store hot chocolate. I got Naomi's shopping cart and stroller. I saved $15. Totally worth it!
My mom and I proceeded through the night with an hour of sleep. Stood in lines. Froze. Laughed. I almost cried...once. Maybe twice. Jerky guy at Best Buy.
Life was good. 30 was better, but shopping with my mom was the BEST.

4 comments:

Christine Fotheringham said...

I have to say, "You are crazy!" I also have to say that probably the only two people who could get me out on "black friday" would be you and Nettie. You actually make it sound like fun! I'm so glad your 30th birthday wish came true . . . almost makes me cry! Love you Bird. Happy 30th!!

JoshandJen said...

That is so funny with how you write your stories, I just love it! Thats awesome you have such good parents, I never have or ever will never know what its like to have a mom that cares or loves me, definitely cherish every moment that you can! I am glad you had an awesome time turning 30, because I hated it!!! Now that I am over 30 its been fine, but that actual 30 killed me.... You are awesome, I am so glad to have you for a good friend!

Rebecca said...

Aaron and I love black friday! So glad you had a good time! Hey here is something your lego lovers might like. http://www.filthwizardry.blogspot.com/

lynnette orme said...

No--it was the best being with YOU turning 30. Black Friday is much better than labor. You forgot we were standing in the rain with shopping sacks on our heads. I love you, Mom