Sunday, February 14, 2010

Shhh...don't tell daddy

I guess James was jealous that I built a snow fort with the boys without him...so, so-man-like, he of course, takes the kids outside and builds a cooler, bigger and better one than mom.
The result: SUCCESS.


James showing off his new fort with William. Those are James feet out one end and William's head out the other.



shhh...don't tell daddy.

James on call. Translation: he sleeps at the hospital.
Result: Sleepover in mommy's bed.
but, shhh...it's a secret
Scout has only been invited once. She didn't pass the test. All she wanted to do was jump on our heads and pull our hair.
Result: She can take the sleepover test in a while when she matures a little. Her brothers will let her know when they decide she's grown- up enough.
When it's time for bed, the boys and I huddle under my covers and snuggle as close as possible.
We fall asleep together.
When daddy comes home the next day, we might say things like,
"don't worry daddy, we didn't sleep in your bed."
"don't worry daddy, we did nothing fun without you."
He falls for it EVERYTIME.
Oftentimes, the boys will whisper in my ear when dad is in the room,
"when is daddy sleeping at the hospital?"
This is code for "when do we get to sleep in your bed again?"
It's just our thing.
We all love it.
I wake up several times a night with feet, ribs, and arms blocking my breathing canal.
It's worth it.
Soon enough, no one but daddy will want to sleep in bed with me.
I'll take the arms and legs in my face.
A small price to pay for the BEST UN-kept secret in the house.

5 comments:

The Aamodt Family said...

Jessie!! So Cute! I love it. I have memories of sleeping with Heather, Colin and my mom when our dad was out of town......we eventually got too big and just brought in the mattress' and he never knew!!

Liz said...

I ran into your mom and dad the other day and made me miss seeing you. So fun to talk to you while you were here! You look great and can't wait to see you hopefully soon.
Liz

JoshandJen said...

That is funny about the snow fort, although it is hard for me to get outside to do one with having justin and wade, josh took a two hour break from studying this weekend and went out with daniel and built a huge snow fort with a wood door...it was pretty cute...I love the story of the bedtime secret, that is awesome! Those are the moments that will last forever...

Fuller Family said...

Jesse, First I have to say hi, I hope things are going well. I love seeing all the snow in Ohio and then going outside to ride bikes in TX, I had plenty of that cold. I loved this blog because in our house when JAred is call Kaden must sleep in my bed , first it was his Idea after a while if he didn't I was so lonely, so now we read books until we fall asleep.

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

When the ARMY would send my dad away on trips my mom would let my sisters and I sleep in her room. My sisters got to sleep in the bed but apperently I was also not fun to sleep with and I got to camp out on the floor! I totally agree with the "Soon enough they won't want to cuddle with me" thought process. Take it while you can get it!