Saturday, January 29, 2011

Break the Rules Night




Jake had a horrible, no good, very bad day on Wednesday. So much so, that he had a complete meltdown. Throwing, hitting, screaming, yeah...whatever you can think of. By bedtime, I decided to take a step back. I realized that James and I had just been "speaking mean" (that's what Jake calls it) and it wasn't working.
I walked in his room, threw myself on his bed and tried to ask why this "was the worst day of his whole life." Sounds traumatic, I know. I was sympathetic to his hard and demanding schedule for a 5 year old. Life actually really is hard for these little critters. He has to be as smart as I was in 3rd grade. He's only in Kindergarten. Poor kid. The pressure really can get on your nerves. So...we decided that the next night, a Thursday night, would be our first annual "Break the Rules Night." What is that you ask. I will tell you.
The Ford's are breaking the rules.
It was a school night. But guess what?
We were going to stay up and watch a movie. We were going to play games, have fun and eat cake and ice cream. It was going to be a party after all. Usually parties are on the weekends. But THIS was a Break the Rules Party. And it was on a Thursday. We, the Ford's, are rebels. If you hadn't already known.
I spent Thursday making cakes, frosting and getting ready. I was so excited!
I picked the kids up from school. Well, we didn't even get home without a major setback. You see, we pick up Leah, our neighbor after school. By the time we got to her house, she was in tears. William hurt her feelings. He was making up songs about peeing on people and he used her name in one rendition. It didn't go over very well. It really hurt her feelings. I don't blame her. How would you like a little boy singing about peeing on you?
So, as a consequence, William had to write her an apology note and give her some of his "Break the Rules cake." That was nearly a disaster. He flipped out. But it had to be done.
After a few more hours of fighting, yelling, throwing lego hero factories at each other, I quickly scarfed down dinner and felt like crying. What was for dinner? I can't remember. Oh, wait. Yes I do. It was SUNDAY dinner. Roast, mashed potatoes, rolls, gravy, carrots. The whole nine yards. Who says you can't have Sunday dinner on a Thursday night. It was "Break the Rules Night" after all. James walked through the door. I walked up to my room. It was 8:00 P.M. I never came back downstairs. I remember James walking into my room and saying, "Are you asleep?" I remember thinking about it. My response, "Uhhh, I 'm not sure." He shut the door. I woke up the next morning. Wow. I didn't imagine that I would ever be the one breaking the rules. But I did. I'm not quite sure if they had their party without me.
The boys asked if we could try again. For another "Break the Rules Party." I'll have to think about it. I'm still tired from this one. I mean, I only got 11 hours of sleep.
Here's to Breaking the Rules.

5 comments:

David and Rachel said...

Leave it to Jessie Ford to come up with a "Break the Rules Night." Leah tried to tell me a little about it and I didn't understand, but now I do thanks to your post. You are such a fun mom and I honestly try harder every day to do better at being more fun because of you. Thank you for that and thank you for the yummy cake that you gave to my sensitive little girl. ;)

lbb said...

love it.
we need a break the rules party at my house. that's a great idea! but, i'm sure it'll turn out with a tantrum and such like yours!!
you are so sweet with your boys and aware of their needs!
i SO get the get in bed and not get out thing.
i want to do it now.
and that is why the caffeine thing is still a struggle for me, my friend!
argh.
love you and the photos. glad i'm in this together with you.
xoxxo

The WALL Street Times said...

I love you all. Isn't it the truth that the harder you plan, organize and put your heart and soul into making something fun for your family. It backfires. It reminds me of Christmas morning and having all of it over in 10 minutes and have them say "is that it?" Yes it is.
Here's to a week with no tantrums.

The Johnson Family said...

I love you Jess! This post made me feel better in some weird kind of way. Being a mom is HARD WORK~and almost ALWAYS goes unappreciated.

I love your idea of Break the Rules Night. You are such a fun mom!

JoshandJen said...

Yep you are such an awesome, fun party mom, maybe someday I can be like you ;)