Monday, January 17, 2011

Little Bodies

Naomi and our little neighbor. Naomi is desperate for female attention. They made a bed on my kitchen floor as I was making dinner. Don't worry. I just stepped over them.


William and Jake showing off their Lego creations!


Popcorn Popping during Family Home Evening.


Little Bodies = Big trouble. I know. I knew about 7 years ago. It hasn't let up.
Today was Martin Luther King Day. Me, being such a wonderful mother ordered tickets to go and see our first show at the downtown Civic Theatre, The Festival of Nations. Dances from around the World. I was sooo excited. We went down a little early so that, you know, how I am such a good mom, I thought it would be fun to take the kids to the oldest candy store in Akron. A tiny little shop full of different candy like you see in the movies. A child's paradise. They each ordered their own treat and took their little white paper bags with them. So cute.
We entered the theatre. It was like Disneyland. Kids in every corner. My worst nightmare. We walked to our seats and sat there and I was wondering why in the heck the show wasn't starting. We soon figured out that they said the show started at 11:00 because they wanted us to be there an HOUR early (with our children) tp have plenty of time to buy the vendor's goods from all over the country. Are you serious? An hour went by and the show finally started. Let's be honest, any activity after an hour with three active children should be about all you try to accomplish in a 24 hour period of time. But we were just getting started. I hadn't fed the kids lunch. My secret plan was to go to the show from 11:00-12:00 and surprise daddy at work and eat with him. That obviously wasn't going to work. So I went down to the concessions (another racket) and found out that they don't take credit cards. Of course. I ran across the freezing cold street to slide my little plastic card in that big money machine. I went in to buy three slices of pizza. The first child says, "I hate this kind of pizza." The second child replies, "Oh, I don't like pizza." The third child declares, "ewwww!" Funny enough, a friend of ours took a piece off my plate and ate it with delight. I barely knew what happened. At least someone enjoyed the $6 pizza.
30 minutes of dancing. The middle child was already bored. I was telling him to hang on because the show would be over soon. It was. Well, at least the 1st third was over! Th 1st intermission? I was done. Who in the world puts on a dancing show for young children with two intermissions. I mean, I understand we have a lot of diversity in this great state of Ohio...but 3 HOURS WORTH!
I ended up taking a screaming Naomi out after the people in front of us moved two different times to dodge her Dora shoes banging on the backs of their heads. Jake followed me screaming how boring it was. Naomi cried the whole way to the car. And it was quite a walk. I love how downtowns never have anyplace to park. It's like a universal travesty.
So, from 10:30 - 3:00 we were in and out of the blessed Festival of Nations.
I probably won't be going again.
It was clear from the people around us that I was not the great mom that I knew I was going into that place.
Funny. Just like how I was such a great mom before I had kids.
It's never like you plan. never.
Happy Martin Luther King Day.

6 comments:

David and Rachel said...

I am so mad you didn't tell me that you were going to that! Leah would have loved to go and maybe that would have made Noami interested if Leah had been there. Anyways, I forgive you. Way to get through yet another eventful day for the Ford family and yes, you are good a mother no matter what other random people around you that don't know you may think. :)

David and Rachel said...

Sorry... that would be Naomi. What's up with these people who keep mis-spelling your daughters name?

lbb said...

happy freakin' mlk, to you too!
oh that just is so familiar. you want to cry and laugh all at the same and look around at all the other parents and say, "how are you all doing this?"...so nonchalantly.
but, they prob don't have 3 without a hubs.
you are a champ to last that long, and mother of the year, fo sho.
love you!

JoshandJen said...

yep, that is a familiar story too in the anderson household, life story really...i have had people verbally tell me off when it is as clear as day that I am doing the best i can with 5 kids....Dont even think twice or question your mothering skills, lady you are a fantastic mother!!! And its great that you tried to take them which is important. I know its hard now, but just think of how fast these times will pass and then your kids will be in high school, you are creating memories whether they are good bad or exhausting its still important. Keep up the GREAT job you are doing lady!

Christine Fotheringham said...

Bird, we just read your 2 latest posts. Nate calls you the female Rick Riley. Do you know who he is? Well, he's rich! Maybe you should write a book and sell this stuff. You are good at it! Love you Bird. Hope you are able to connect with Britt.

Orme Family said...

I needed a laugh at midnight, so where do I turn? Jessie's blog! Thanks for being my entertainment. What am I going to do when you leave us out here alone in the midwest!!!