Friday, October 15, 2010

Haircut











So I got a deal. $15 for a wash, cut, style and manicure at the Beauty school. I excitedly booked my appointment for this morning so James could watch the baby. Funny how she is two and I still call her baby.
I drove 40 minutes to my hair deal. A bustling salon. A great, new student called my name. Tight black leggings with a tight black t-shirt. Her dyed black hair.
3 hours later I was still there.
My back was wet because she didn't really know how to wash hair quite yet.
She lives her with boyfriend and they are not getting married until she gets a huge ring.
She told me that she was going to do an awesome job becasue it sounded like I was a kick -a** mom. (the only thing I told her was that I stayed at home and I had three kids)
But she told me that she wished her mom would have stayed home with her. So I guess that's where I got the kick-a** mom award from.
She asked if my husband and I still have a little "you know" in our marriage.
I re-assured that that we still got it "goin on".
She seemed pleased.
She asked if I get to watch "soaps" all day because I stay home.
I actually didn't even know where to start on that one.
I told her I was raised in Utah.
"oh, so you're grunge?"
I asked her to explain.
Apparently Utah is known for being grunge and having dang good coffee.
She said she heard it was because "there is like this really repressive religion and stuff and people want to rebel."
I was actually so tired from sitting in that chair for three hours that I couldn't even tell her that I was one of them "repressive religion people that make people drink coffee and wear flannel shirts."
My head felt like it was on fire because she was pulling that round brush so dang tight I nearly had to take two tylenol to take the edge off.

I didn't have time for the manicure because after three hours I had to get back to pick up my kids from school.
Then she finally came clean.
"I am so glad I got you because I was really, really nervous. "You were my first chick hair cut. I cut my dad's hair, but your my first girl."
I figured.
She had only told me about twenty times during our three hour friendship that she was really, really nervous.
I was also a little suspicious when she asked her supervisor when she should deep condition my hair. Before or after the cut.
She actually did a great job. I told her many times. We really were good friends by the end of our ordeal.
Way to go friend! Your first chick haircut down!



9 comments:

Julie said...

I love it!! Now where's the picture of this GREAT mom and her new do?

Natalie said...

Glad you got it "going on" hee hee

JoshandJen said...

I LOVED reading this post, so so funny about Utah's "label" lol...I was just cracking up! I can't believe you were there so long, but I am glad you like the new do...but you can't write such a wonderful blog post about and not put up a picture lady!! :) Well I guess I will just have to wait till tomorrow....I can hardly wait...This post makes me so ready and excited for my hair appt Nov. 16th, there is something about being a stay at home mom and having your hair done, it makes me feel like new :)

anna said...

Great story! I never realized the effect Mormons have had on the grunge movement :) Can't wait to see your cute hair cut!

The Allred Family said...

I love it. My fav part is the kick *a* mom. I can just hear it. Oh, I wish we lived close so we could have these kind of stories all day long!

lynnette orme said...

If you are a kick a** mom then I must be one also. I knew there was something to be proud of. Your hair does look good. I quess three hours in the chair is the charm. Love, Mom

Sarah said...

that is really funny! and way to be a kick a mom! :)

Christine Fotheringham said...

Bird...one of your best ever! Love you!

The Johnson Family said...

I love you Jess! You always make me smile! :)