Saturday, December 4, 2010

Natural

Thanks to my parents, I was able to take William skiing while in Utah. So I took him last year with my brothers for the first time. This year, I wasn't going to take him. Jake didn't want to go. He said he'll go when he's 11. William kept begging me to take him. I'm kindof a wimp. I HATE being cold.
My dad still bugs me about when he would take me skiing. All I would say is, "I'm cold, daddy, I'm cold." Now James gets to hear me complain. I'm always cold.
Only one of my three joys could get me out on the mountain where I basically freeze to death. But after-all, thanks to my dad for making me freeze over and over again. If only to be able to teach my babies.
I know that's what parents do. They teach their kids to ski. I get it. Whether you want to or not.

Now that William is 7, I made him carry his own skis. Way to go, Bug.


It was probably on this run where he said to me, "well,mom, I think I'm just like... a natural." He did pretty good. Not at turning. He hates turning. But he LOVED flying down the hill in a straight line and stopping by running into the metal gate. For some reason he just loved that part.


The best part about skiing. I'm sure my dad feels the same way. Talking to your baby on the way up the lift.



It was here where William and I had "the conversation." The most humbling conversation. I looked down on the hill and saw a snowboarder. I told William that skiing is wayyy BETTER and TOUGHER and HARDER than snowboarding. I told him his dad was kindof a wimp because his dad snowboards. I explained to him the long tradition of snowboarders making fun of skiiers and skiiers making fun of snowboarders.
His response.
"My dad is not a WIMP! He's the hardest worker in the family. He goes to work like every single day of his life. You don't even have a job, mom!"
I didn't know whether to slap his mouth for the insult or laugh with his honesty. I laughed. I hugged him. His dad certainly is tough. And definitely a hard worker. But he still snowboards.


On the drive down the mountain, William said that he thinks he should probably get skiis for Christmas. He's probably going to be a skiier, he says. And a swimmer.

2 comments:

JoshandJen said...

LOL...Hey no discin the snowboarders, we are a whole family of snowboarders (well minus the babies, but they will be future snowboarders one day) :)
I am glad you had fun and that you withstood the cold for your son, what a good mom, love that picture of you two on the ski lift, just adorable!

Christine Fotheringham said...

Are you coming for Christmas? Do you want to give me a present this year? Let's go skiing . . . you, me, E and anyone else who wanted. Would that be so fun? Seriously - it would take a little extra effort, but I could get us great deals on a half day pass and if you're cold, we could spend most of our time with fries and coke in the lodge. Let's do it! I'll be calling you. Love you Bird. Love to see you and William out skiing.