Sunday, May 23, 2010

My Baby

This is what happens when a trip to the park turns rainy. Go figure.


I have been taking Jake to speech therapy for about 6 months now. I usually take both Naomi and Jake to "Speech Class" and have to entertain Naomi in the hospital waiting room while Jake goes with his teacher. Friday was a little bit different. James was post-call. He came home right around 12:30. I put Naomi to sleep so James could go to bed and I got to take Jake...just the two of us.
After Speech Class we were walking out to the car. Together. I had his little hand in mine. He was wearing his "blues." A blue Star Wars shirt and a pair of blue track pants with blue flip flops.
I looked down at his little blond mop and I just couldn't resist. I leaned down and asked if he would let me hold him. He smiled up at me. He wrapped his five year old legs around my waist, his five year old arms around my neck and rested his five year old head on my shoulder. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. I was beaming.
This little kid, who was wrapped around me like a warm, comfy blanket was mine. All mine.
I walked through the corridors of the hospital. Feeling like the luckiest mom in the world.
As we were nearing the exit, another mom was holding an actual "baby". The baby cooed at Jake wrapped around my body and I heard the mom say, "yeah, do you see that baby."
At first I was nervous. Jake would have freaked out if someone called him a baby.
And than I immediately smiled.
Yes, he is my baby. And he is going to have to deal with it.
Sorry Jake, but you will ALWAYS be my baby.

4 comments:

Orme Family said...

Jess, It is sad to say I have not read your blog FOREVER! (I must be way too caught up in my own life! I loved catching up. All the cakes, soccer, Denver, Mother's Day, always fun at the Ford house! Love ya!

lbb said...

jake is like jack. speech therapy and all.
love it and love you.
oh and we adore rainy park days, too.

Lauralee Beth said...

Just checking out new blogs and I came across yours. Your 'favorite quotes' was really funny. Love the title of your blog too. Have a nice night.

Fancy Nancy said...

Love all the updates! I am the worst Auntie ever... happy birthday to Na Na... I'm glad she is not old enough to hold a grudge against me, she doesn't even know who I am! It will be nice to get you guys out to the west... lot of love!!!