Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"Why can't I be rich?"

This is what I asked the Gymboree sales clerk today. I really, really wanted this adorable knit dress that was on sale. Of course, they didn't have my adorable daughters size. She took me around the store and showed me all the ones that were not on sale, but of course, they had her size. I watched her hold up this darling knit dress, with the darling matching leggings and I responded, "Oh yeah, right. My husband would pee his pants. Why can't I be rich?"
And as soon as these words left my mouth, I started laughing hysterically inside of myself.
For you see, this is the exact same question my children ask me at least three times a week.



And I always answer them the same.


We are indeed, the richest people in the world.


because you see, we have each other. And that is all we need.


And my children believe me. And I wondered why today, I didn't believe myself.

and then I look at all of these pictures, and I ask myself,
"how could I ever possibly believe for one second that I am not rich?
And I think cowardly,
'Shame on Me."

besides, maybe if my mom reads this post she will go out and buy me the dress. maybe.

4 comments:

J and C said...

I am hoping your mom does buy the dress. (I leave "subtle" hints like that all the time for mine and it often works!;o)

JoshandJen said...

I know, I ask myself that question sometimes too, and Daniel and Natilie still ask that every week too...it is hard, especially when all of our clothes come from gabriel brothers, I sometimes think it would just be so nice to go into an actual store and be able to buy something nice and not have to worry about having the money..but for now I have to settle for 3 dollar outfits and you are right we are rich, we have our families and the gospel of Jesus Christ!

Orme Family said...

I loved reading all your stories. I usually go a month between reading different blogs, and I always know that when I come to yours I am going to get a good story. I loved the wrist band and the bake sale stories.

The WALL Street Times said...

We are rich. We are lucky to have you as our cousins. I am especially rich to have you as a sister. Will, I would have paid $2.00 for the purified water. Maybe when you move to Denver, I can drive on down to purchase the water on the 3rd annual bake sale.
Linds