Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Night Before..




James is on call. We'll see him tomorrow sometime. But in the meantime, I'm the mom. I'm the protector and the friend. I'm the only one they've got. And tonight, I was kindof glad.

Being the day before school, I told them that we could have a special sleepover in my bed. They jumped right in. We were in bed by 8:00 P.M. But our eyes did not close. We lay there. Me in the middle. William on my right and Jake on my left. We talked.
First of all, William pleaded with Jake not to wear all blue clothes. "Someone might make fun of you." Jake didn't seem to mind. He wants to match. So William went to plan B. "Jake please, oh please, wear either a yellow or a white shirt. It is going to be sooo hot tomorrow. Like 50 degrees. Right, mom?" He continued, "Jake you just can't wear a dark shirt. The sun doesn't deflect upon it." You get what he means.
Then we talked about what they were each scared of. It was so typical of their little personalities.
Jake is going to Kindergarten. He is jumping off into the sunlight on his own and when he was asked what he is scared of most, he replies, "NOTHING." Well then, what are you excited for? "EVERYTHING."
Then it is William's turn. His voice started shaking. "I'm scared I am going to get in trouble and have to go to the principal's office." What else are you scared of? "I'm scared I won't have any friends."
Then it happened. It was Jake's turn to give his brotherly advice.
"William, don't you remember dad's priesthood blessing he gave you?"
Jake remembered that his dad had blessed William to make new friends this year. Jake remembered this from yesterday. I was shocked. I didn't even know Jake was listening. Shows you what I know. William no longer needed to be worried over that one. Check.
Than it was time for William to give one last piece of advice to his younger brother.
We talked about what they each wanted in their first day of school lunch. Jake chose Chocolate Chip Muffins. William chose a PB sandwich. And than followed with this, "But Jake, chocolate chips are NOT healthy. That is not a good first day of school choice."
Jake wasn't persuaded. He will, in fact, be getting Chocolate Chip muffins for his main course tomorrow in his little blue and black insulated lunch carrier.

The conversation mainly took place around me. The boys talked over my lifeless body between them. I just listened in wonder. Happy with life. As they stopped talking, we all began singing our favorite primary songs. And as we were singing, dad called us to tell us good luck tomorrow.
A perfect ending to a perfect night.


3 comments:

The WALL Street Times said...

I love it. I hope you all had a fabulous first day. I am sure that you made lots of new friends, had a great lunch and most of all stayed out of trouble. William- just remember the prinicipal is not always mean. She can be really nice too.
Love,
Linds

lbb said...

oh i love you. it sounds like the 4 millionth convo my boys and i had today over dinner, while S slept upstairs (post-call).
they argued back and forth because Charlie insists that Jack's powers are not real. Jack was in tears.
You know how it goes.
I love brothers, don't you?
Thanks for reminding me to ENJOY their conversations, and not to get too involved.
Hope the day went well!
(oh, and Sid went to UT b/c he won't be at my sis' wedding, (i'm going in 2 weeks) and he hadn't seen his fam since thanksgiving...:)...
love you to death.

JoshandJen said...

So cute, your boys are awesome, I loved reading that conversation Jake and William had about school..I hope they have a great year!