Monday, September 13, 2010

I've got it...


I picked the kids up from school as usual. William, Jake and Leah (our carpool buddy). I let them play on the playground and get "their energies out". I noticed Jake and his best friend Xander wrestling over by the side of the building. They were laughing. I let them wrestle. Xander's mom wasn't concerned either. I looked over again and again. They were wrestling for quite a while and it got pretty intense. But again, they were laughing. All the the sudden I see a mom get up off of her bench and clap her hands very loudly. You know, that clap you do when you really want to get somebody's attention. She continued, "Gentlemen, gentlemen, what are you doing?" And then she said something like, "we do not behave that way." By this point I had started walking to the scene and told the lady, "hey, I've got this. These kids are mine." She kindof got defensive and said, "did you see what they were doing? Doesn't that bother you?" I responded, "No, they were just playing. They are having fun. They're fine" She looked at me in disbelief and stomped off. Jake was now huddled close to the building thinking that he was going to get in trouble. Oh, brother. I felt like yelling, "Do you know how hard it is for this kid to sit in that classroom for six hours a day? He is doing great. GREAT! He's FIVE! And all he is doing is burning off all of that pent up "energies" that he has collected from all of that hard learning. Do you even know how hard it is to learn how to read? That is hard business!
Anyway, it was pretty funny. And honestly, thanks to parents who break up fights. I actually really do appreciate it. Next time, just make sure it's a fight....oh, and make sure the parent can't hear you yelling at their kid either.

2 comments:

lbb said...

Oh man I relate!
I feel like I'm also always saying, "ya I know...my kid is at the top of the tree/roger is eating bark/jack is peeing in the bushes/charlie is running around with an enormous branch...i KNOW!"
Good to wrestle. I couldn't sit as long as they do!

Jennilyn said...

Hey I just saw your husband in the Mormon Message Video on "the missing pieces" Crazy... I love reading your blog.